Call for Research Officer (full time)
INFECTIOUS DISEASES and DISEASE CONTROL CLUSTER
Institute of Public Health, Bengaluru
Institute of Public Health, Bengaluru (IPH) is a premier institute for education and research in health systems in India. The institute’s research work in course of its eleven year long history has focused on identifying equity-oriented and health systems based research questions. More details on IPH is available at IPH website (www.iphindia.org).
Project Description (SPEAK) SPEAK India – Setting the Post-Elimination Agenda for Kala-Azar in India This 18 months project is based on documenting the best practices on elimination of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) achieved or soon to be achieved; and analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the Indian health system in managing VL at a population level. Additionally, this project aims to construct a health system focussed response applicable in the VL post-elimination phase in India.
Who are we looking for? We are looking for a motivated candidate with an interest in a career in public health for the role of a Research Officer (RO) at IPH. The RO shall work closely with the Principal Investigator in managing a research project. The candidate will work with experienced researchers and faculty at IPH Bangalore. The candidate shall benefit from extensive institutional experience in mentoring young researchers and professionals into public health career. The cluster seeks to provide a conducive environment to the young professional into a career in research and/or project management.
Essential Candidate needs to be motivated and interested in building a public research oriented career (irrespective of the educational background). Applicants must have received a Master’s degree in public health/related discipline (including but not limited to other para-medical disciplines such as dentistry/nursing/pharma, social work, anthropology, psychology, community medicine, global health or international health) with work experience of minimum 2 years in research, specifically handling quantitative and qualitative datasets and familiarity with data analysis methods for both. Candidate should be comfortable with the use of all basic computer softwares (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), should be comfortable with email correspondence and able to demonstrate good people and managerial skills.
Good oral written communication in English is mandatory. Additionally, good oral communication in Hindi is mandatory.
Desirable Two or more research publications as first/second author is desirable. Location This position is based in IPH Bengaluru office (see location here). Salary This is a Research Officer level position at IPH and pay will be commensurate with the candidate’s skills and experience and will range between Rs.40,000 – Rs.50,000 (CTC) per month based on experience. The contract will be for one year (with a probation period of 3 months) and the position is extendable after review at the end of one year and contingent on availability of funding.
Expected responsibilities Brief Job description:
- To assist with the coordination of the regular skype/zoom meetings with the partners and other key stakeholders
- To assist in pilot testing the data collection tools for surveys, which are based on the Health systems framework
- To assist as a team member during the training of data collectors
- To support data collection by supervising the data collectors at two of the four states (Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal) during November 2018 to February 2019
- To analyse the qualitative and quantitative data
- To assist in conducting contextual analysis of the collected data and literature; and to develop the health systems measures for the two states, towards the optimal response by the health system to sustain the VL post- elimination phase
- To assist in maintaining and updating the electronic project filing of data
- To assist with the project report generation, drafting manuscripts and help in publication process
- To contribute towards any other tasks needed to be performed for the successful implementation of this project.
Please fill up this online form – Apply Now
Send your cv to (email@example.com) with job title as subject
Last date for receiving applications form shall be
Tuesday 29th May 2018
Keep the following information/documents ready for the online application:
- Your basic details including name, permanent and current address and other identifying details
- 2-page Resume/CV (PDF only)
- Name, phone number, and email address for two references who are willing to provide a reference for your work. This could include your teachers/mentors/supervisors
- One page statement describing how best you would fit into this role (upto 400 words)
- Explaining your interests, strengths and qualifications for this role and how it will benefit your future professional goals
Note: IPH works closely with various stakeholders including governments at all levels, civil society, health workers and professionals and with various other development partners. IPH shall actively ensure against direct or indirect financial or other partnerships/associations with the following:
- Tobacco and alcohol industry
- Pharmaceutical corporations
- Arms manufacturers
Any application associated with the above will be disqualified.
Current internship opportunities
Tobacco use imposes a huge disease, economic and ecologic burden in India. It kills about a million adults a year in India. India is among the world’s’ largest growers and exporters of tobacco leaf. Hence, public policy around tobacco needs to consider varying and at times conflicting interests of state and non-state actors. As one of the ways to understand policymakers’ concerns on tobacco, IPH has sourced data on tobacco-related inquiries and responses transacted in parliamentary debates. This project is to analyze these textual data to develop a typology of concerns raised in the assembly around tobacco. The project activities involve managing qualitative datasets and thematic analysis of data. The outputs would include a report, a seminar, and a possible publication
Tobacco use imposes a huge disease, economic and ecologic burden in India. It kills about a million adults a year in India. India is among the world’s’ largest growers and exporters of tobacco leaf. Tobacco is consumed in myriad ways with a range of products available for smoke and smokeless tobacco. This project aims to map spatial presence and overall features (volume, sales, economic indicators) of smoke and smokeless tobacco industry in India over time. The project activities involve conceptualising the mapping frame, sourcing data from varied sources, analysing data to generate profiles and trends related to different tobacco industry segments. The outputs would include a report, a seminar and a possible publication
Tobacco use imposes a huge disease, economic and ecologic burden in India. It kills about a million adults a year in India. There are various nationally representative surveys that have captured the tobacco use prevalence and other related aspects over time. These include Global Adult Tobacco Survey, National Family Health Survey, National Sample Surveys etc. This project is about analysing select surveys to produce inter-state comparisons on some of the key indicators of tobacco use and related aspects. The project activities involve sourcing and managing datasets, analysing datasets, generating trends in prevalence and other related indicators, producing graphical representations of data. The outputs would include a report, a seminar, and a possible publication.
Helping with the timeline and lesson plan for Distance Learning
Looking at the existing content for Distance Learning phase of EV4GH
Revising the content as per the current venture.